Saturday 2 December 2017

Saturday Photo: Sunrise, November 30, 2017

Well, actually the sun had been up officially for a good half an hour, but when I was out Thursday morning, it was just peeking around Mount Royal.  The leaves are finally off the trees, but there is no snow on the ground.  Just sere grass and light glancing across the little frost that collected over night.

There are many cities farther north than Montreal--London and Paris to name only two.  I don't know how I'd last in them: short days get to me.  Right now I'm hoping for snow soon, since what light there is on winter days is magnified when there's snow on the ground.

1 comment:

lagatta à montréal said...

Well, the parts the Soderstroms hailed from had much shorter winter days. I have Inuit relatives (I'm not Inuit; this is by marriage) and of course that far north there are practically no days - Joni Mitchell is evidently part Sami, so that would be about the same).

Amsterdam is very gloomy in the winter as it is north of here and while it is chilly and damp, there is no longer a lot of snow in Holland, mostly cold rain and ice that clings to sidewalks and cycle paths. It does snow there, and everything glows, but it usually doesn't last many days.

I'm of two minds as the snow lifts that sombre aspect of winter depression, but it also makes it harder to get exercise - not only cycling but walking at a good pace