Thursday 10 March 2011

Instant Communication is Worse Than Small Children When It Comes to Interruptions

The radio is off, I've already answered my e-mail and now I have before me a few hours of no contact with anyone in which to write or think about writing. Wow!

For some time I've been struck by the toll that constant contact with the outside world weraks on concentration. The temptation of distraction is immense, even though I've avoided cell phones and hand-held internet devices so far.

It seems I'm not the only one. Le Devoir has a good story about the problem this morning and so did The New York Times a while back. Actually I feel as pulled in multiple directions as I did when the kids were small, and I had a hundred interruptions a minute. Very hard to get some serious work done when you're multi-tasking on a nano-second scale.

All of this to say, that I've got to sign off now and get down to business...

No comments: