Saturday 20 June 2009

Saturday Photo: No, It's Not the Golden Gate

Summer time and the living is easy. Fish are jumping and the cotton is high...

Well, summer officially begins tomorrow, but when I was in Portugal a couple of weeks ago, the fish appeared to be jumping. This was taken a ferry's ride across the Tagus River from Lisbon in Setibal where obviously some people think it's worth fishing.

The bridge in the background is the April 25th bridge, renamed that after the bloodless revolution which changed Portugal's politics from right wing to centre left in 1974. Before that it was called the Salazar Bridge after the dictator ruled the country for more than 30 years.

The bridge, the estuary and bay, as well as the vegetation made me think of San Francisco. As I wrote Lee the first day I was there, Lisbon makes me think of a smaller Paris set down in California.

No comments: