Thursday 28 May 2009

Saturday Photo: Jane and Me in Montreal


This is a little early, but given that I'm on the road, I thought I'd post this now that I'm in a good internet place.

A film about Jane Jacobs is being featured Saturday as part of an interesting festival on the Environment and the City. Called "The Urban Goddess: Jane Jacobs Reconsidered."

I'm supposed to be the resource person at the screening, to be held at 5 p.m. at the Cinema du Parc, 3575 Park Avenue, Montreal. The idea, I'm told, is to comment on the film (which I haven't yet seen) and field question about Jacobs and her work. It's a privilege to be invited to talk about her, and I'm looking forward to the event.
Here's the press release:

"When Jane Jacobs died in 2006, Canada lost one of its loudest and most persistent urban voices. What Jacobs advocated is well known: short blocks, mixed-use buildings and diverse neighbourhoods. Urban Goddess: Jane Jacobs Reconsidered considers the livable city: an issue that directly impacts the quality of life of the majority of the world’s population.

The documentary examines the champion of neighbourhood activism’s legacy, through two redevelopment disputes: one in New York and the other in Toronto. These disputes raise many of the same issues Jacobs encountered 50 years ago. It also looks at Vancouver, a city frequently put forward as a shining example of Jacobs’ livable city philosophy.

The documentary asks “Is Jane Jacobs’ legacy intact?” and, more to the point, “Is it still valid?”"

No comments: