Wednesday 12 September 2007

Western Wind and Work

O western wind, when wilt thou blow
That the small rain down can rain?

Christ, that my love were in my arms
And I in my bed again!

Anonymous
16th Century

The rain began in late afternoon, and continued most of the night. The western wind blows this morning--fresh air, blue sky, high white clouds. It is a perfect day for work, I thought to myself as I walked this morning and the poem came to mind. It is a mariner's lament, if I remember correctly, a wish for winds that would speed him home.

It is, as I say, a perfect day for work, however, an energizing day at the very end of summer. Therefore, even though I am home, and my love is not far away, it is not a case of "and so to bed" (as that blogger before his time Samuel Pepys would say) but to work...

No comments: